AYOYO AYOYO - WOLOLO!
The WOLOLO battlecry of priests from Age of Empires is both hilarious and frightening, depending on whose priest is singing it. Capable of creating memes, converting men, women, catapults and even buildings to the priests side, the song has reached a legendary status - some laugh at it, others dread it - we all know it.
Shop this design ⬇️
Age of Empires (AoE) is a real-time strategy video game based on history, developed by Ensemble Studios and published by Microsoft, and the first game in the Age of Empires series. The game uses the Genie Engine, a 2D sprite-based game engine. The game allows the user to act as the leader of an ancient civilization by advancing it through four ages (the Stone, Tool, Bronze, and Iron Ages), gaining access to new and improved units with each advance. Originally touted as Civilization meets Warcraft, some reviewers felt that the game failed to live up to these expectations when it was released. Despite this, it received generally good reviews, and an expansion pack, titled The Rise of Rome, was released in 1998.
- At it's release, AI used in AOE was celebrated as the most advanced and realistic AI in RTS games mostly because it was painstakingly coded to "think" with strategy and tactics in mind as opposed to covering its mistakes and inability to strategize with cheats and hidden resources (a solution popular at the time).
- AOE games, including the first one and despite some irregularities, often came loaded with historical facts and interpretations along with history lessons, detailed explanations, glossaries and etc.
- AoE is to Vietnam, what StarCraft is to South Korea.
- Despite the fame, nobody can 100% confirm the origin and exact intent of WOLOLO. There are extensive, and believable, theories involving Latin, supposed sound samples and numerous other fun speculations but no official explanation.
- AoE has some awesome and memorable cheats accessed by pressing enter and typing them in:
- COINAGE - 1000 gold
- PEPPERONI PIZZA - 1000 food
- QUARRY - 1000 stone
- WOODSTOCK - 1000 wood
- STEROIDS - upgrades all units
- POW! - baby on a tricycle with a super gun
- BIG MOMMA/DADDY - racing car equipped with the rocket launcher
- PHOTON MAN - Soldier wielding a laser blaster
- Those last three are not a joke.