Our tribute to the funky-looking, nazi-punching, crunchy-sounding granddaddy of FPS games - Wolfenstein 3D. We have very fond memories of William "B.J." Blazkowicz and his fight against the Nazi regime - from the soldier-infested catacombs of the titular Castle Wolfenstein to the Berlin and the Führer himself.
Shop this design ⬇️
Wolfenstein 3D is a first-person shooter video game developed by id Software and published by Apogee Software and FormGen. Originally released on May 5, 1992, for DOS, it was inspired by the 1981 Muse Software video game Castle Wolfenstein, and is the third installment in the Wolfenstein series. In Wolfenstein 3D, the player assumes the role of Allied spy William "B.J." Blazkowicz during World War II as he escapes from the Nazi German prison Castle Wolfenstein and carries out a series of crucial missions against the Nazis. The player traverses each of the game's levels to find an elevator to the next level or kill a final boss, fighting Nazi soldiers, dogs, and other enemies with knives and a variety of guns.
- Before settling on WW2 theme, guys at ID wanted to do an Aliens game and call it "It's Green and Pissed". While the Aliens game idea would be resurrected prior to making Doom, thankfully the tittle was not.
- SNES version of the game was completely censored removing Nazi symbols, dogs, blood, crosses etc.
- This supposedly led to the creation of the infamous Super 3D Noah's Ark - an unlicensed shooter for SNES released by Wisdom Tree, made in Wolfenstein 3D engine.
- There is a hidden Pac-Man level not many people know about.
- One of the music tracks contains a Morse code - "TO: Big Bad Wolf DE: Little Red Riding Hood Eliminate Hitler. Imperative: Complete mission within 24 hours. Out."
- Interestingly, Wolfenstein 3D only has a single cheat code - pressing L, I, and M simultaneously at any time during gameplay will give you 100% health, 99 ammo, all weapons, and both keys. So basically it's a granddaddy to IDKFA.
- There is a way to enable debugging mode with -goobers command line, which gives you access to shortcuts/cheat commands such as pressing TAB+G for God Mode, TAB+E to end the level etc.
- Or you can use a Game Genie on SNES - 622C-7764 to start with the chaingun, DB25-84D4 for cat-like 9 lives etc.